Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring is Springing


(Yawn, stretch, moan, stretch)

     Whoa, whoa, whoa....what?  March? It's March?  Time to come out of hibernation.

      It has been a long, sometimes monotonous, no so eventful winter.  Although, thinking back, and recalling the photos that were taken (not yet loaded onto the computer), I believe there may be a few incidents and activities to report.

     We started out using electric heaters to keep us warm here in the Velvet Sky.  They did the job.  They also shot the electricity bill up about 120 dollars a month.  I certainly did appreciate the heat they created, however they did not do a very good job of keeping the moisture down.  And they were kind of in the walk way. Cords, and amp suckage, and space takers, oh my! Most importantly, they were not  something we could heat the boat with while we are underway.  Impractical on so many levels. So, Scott, being the caretaker he is began researching diesel heaters and installation.  He found the winner! I will have him do the report on the technical aspects of his great find.  It will eventually get on the blog under a different tab.  I will tell you what I know.  It is warm, convenient, and keeps the boat delightfully dry.  It has made this hibernation period much more pleasant.



Ahhh...the convenience of a thermostat
   
Space saver

Nice fit in the lazarette
   

Installed and ready to do it's job
      Now, we are ready to take on the inside passage to Alaska (planned to begin April 19-22).

     Although that was the most exciting thing added to the boat over the winter, there are still a few more things worth reporting.

     The Bucket made a visit to Idaho.  He spent a week with his Aunt Shawn and Uncle Gary and three weeks with his Aunt Hopey and her family.  A month was a long time for us to apart from that little guy, though I know he enjoyed his vacation.  While he was there he got some education materials.  He is learning to write the letters of the alphabet.

Super Bucket learning to write the letter "Z"
     

     I have to mention that when I went to Idaho to retrieve the boy, my Mom taught me to crochet.  So far I have made three headbands, one hat for myself, two hats for Zayden, and one hat for Scott.  We are covered on the cranium.  

     When Zayden returned from his vacation he began swim lessons.  He is now in level two of his lessons, and learning to hold his breath under water.

The Bucket's first day at "swim school"
     I am going to post this much for now.  I have a few more topics I would like to get out to anyone interested.  The sun is shining and it is fairly warm outside.  I am in the middle of stitching a leather wheel cover on the helm wheel.  I am going to take advantage of the break in spring showers, for we cannot use the helm until that job is complete.  So, "Cheers," for now to my friends and loved ones, I shall return to the keyboard soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment