Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving


 
     Our friend, Carl, made the announcement that he was coming from Oregon to visit us on the Velvet Sky.  He would arrive on Wednesday evening and stay through Friday.  Oh my! Let's see....how do we do Thanksgiving in Port Townsend? On a boat? Port Townsend does not have a buffet, although there is a buffet in Port Angeles which is about 30 miles away.  Yes! This is what we will do.
  
     No.  This is not what we did.  I just couldn't put myself or our company through that drive on Thanksgiving.  I took the challenge (Shawn knew I would).  I would just keep it simple and on a very small scale.  You know; turkey, potatoes, gravy, green beans, a nice bottle of wine and a pie bought from the Safeway bakery.                                                                              

     What can you cook in a 14X14 inch oven and on a three burner stove top?  A traditional Thanksgiving meal, of course (if you have the local butcher cut the 13 pound turkey in half). 



This is our oven and storage space for the dish drainer

Stove top and our 4 cup percolator
Also the refrigerator and freezer which doubles as counter space

Yes, we have a place for the dish drainer
     Other live aboard's tell me that our galley is deluxe.  I find contentment in this approximately 6 foot square area.

     Our Thanksgiving menu consisted of the following:

One half of a 13 pound turkey and two extra thighs, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, parsnips, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, hot rolls, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and a good bottle of wine.
From this angle it just doesn't look like much

Pictures don't do it justice, the turkey was cooked to perfection

Just as I am posting this Scott and I are having a good giggle.  He says next year I will take the pictures.   I was sure I would be doing a bit more bragging.  The pictures just don't tell it as it was, honestly.  We enjoyed the food and certainly enjoyed each others company.  Besides, we were going to untie the bowlines and take the house, our company, and the left overs out for a sail on Friday.

2 comments: